- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
Andries, Jennifer star in PE
- Updated: February 15, 2011
Port Elizabeth recently hosted a Badminton South Africa Super 16 tournament and unearthed many a promising player.
In a closely contested Doubles and Mixed tournament, where national players were teamed up with promising up-and-coming youngsters, the younger players showed that they can hold their own in high-pressure situations.┬á This talent identification project by BSA provided the opportunity for the younger players to showcase their skills and to fast-tract the development of youth players.
Seventeen-year old Andries Malan from Boland did well to reach two finals (men’s doubles and mixed doubles) while 18-year old Jennifer van den Berg from North West Province won the women’s doubles title.┬á She was also voted Player of the Tournament.
Both the convener of the national selectors, Chantal Botts and the national head coach Stewart Carson attended the tournament.
Results of the finals were:
Women’s doubles: Annari Viljoen & Jennifer van den Berg won Michelle Edwards and Elme de Villiers 21-17 21-18
Men’s doubles: Roelof Dednam & Ian Edwards won Chris Dednam & Andries Malan 21-18 21-18
Mixed doubles: Wiaan Viljoen & Michelle Butler-Emmitt won Andries Malan &┬á Annari┬á Viljoen 21-18 16-21 21-11