- Klaasen bags a fourth ATP World Tour doubles title in the US
- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
Chani out in 2nd round
- Updated: February 11, 2011
Chani Scheepers exited at the second round of the PTT Pattaya Open in Thailand on Thursday.
Our top-ranked tennis player, Scheepers lost to imposing figure of Uzbekistan’s Akgul Amanmuradova in the $220,000 tournament. It was a straight-sets affair, as Scheepers went out 6-2 6-4.
It was a match that lasted 1hr 30min and Scheepers was on the wrong end of both the aces and double-fault statistics. Amanmuradova sent down four aces compared to one by the South African while Scheepers suffered three double faults to her opponent’s two.
Scheepers did come out tops in the first serve percentage though, with a 70% return compared to Amanmuradova’s 60%.
Amanmuradova now leads the head-to-head count 4-2 against Scheepers and went on to play fourth seeded Daniela Hantuchova┬á of Slovakia in the quarter-finals.
Scheepers picked up just over $3,000 for making the second round. She and coach Roger Anderson are now in Dubai for the $2,050,00 Barclays Dubai Championships which start on Monday.