- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Chani out in 2nd round
- Updated: February 11, 2011
Chani Scheepers exited at the second round of the PTT Pattaya Open in Thailand on Thursday.
Our top-ranked tennis player, Scheepers lost to imposing figure of Uzbekistan’s Akgul Amanmuradova in the $220,000 tournament. It was a straight-sets affair, as Scheepers went out 6-2 6-4.
It was a match that lasted 1hr 30min and Scheepers was on the wrong end of both the aces and double-fault statistics. Amanmuradova sent down four aces compared to one by the South African while Scheepers suffered three double faults to her opponent’s two.
Scheepers did come out tops in the first serve percentage though, with a 70% return compared to Amanmuradova’s 60%.
Amanmuradova now leads the head-to-head count 4-2 against Scheepers and went on to play fourth seeded Daniela Hantuchova┬á of Slovakia in the quarter-finals.
Scheepers picked up just over $3,000 for making the second round. She and coach Roger Anderson are now in Dubai for the $2,050,00 Barclays Dubai Championships which start on Monday.