- National Orders honour for rowing’s ‘Oarsome Foursome’
- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
Chani out in 2nd round
- Updated: February 11, 2011
Chani Scheepers exited at the second round of the PTT Pattaya Open in Thailand on Thursday.
Our top-ranked tennis player, Scheepers lost to imposing figure of Uzbekistan’s Akgul Amanmuradova in the $220,000 tournament. It was a straight-sets affair, as Scheepers went out 6-2 6-4.
It was a match that lasted 1hr 30min and Scheepers was on the wrong end of both the aces and double-fault statistics. Amanmuradova sent down four aces compared to one by the South African while Scheepers suffered three double faults to her opponent’s two.
Scheepers did come out tops in the first serve percentage though, with a 70% return compared to Amanmuradova’s 60%.
Amanmuradova now leads the head-to-head count 4-2 against Scheepers and went on to play fourth seeded Daniela Hantuchova┬á of Slovakia in the quarter-finals.
Scheepers picked up just over $3,000 for making the second round. She and coach Roger Anderson are now in Dubai for the $2,050,00 Barclays Dubai Championships which start on Monday.