- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Chani out in 2nd round
- Updated: February 11, 2011
Chani Scheepers exited at the second round of the PTT Pattaya Open in Thailand on Thursday.
Our top-ranked tennis player, Scheepers lost to imposing figure of Uzbekistan’s Akgul Amanmuradova in the $220,000 tournament. It was a straight-sets affair, as Scheepers went out 6-2 6-4.
It was a match that lasted 1hr 30min and Scheepers was on the wrong end of both the aces and double-fault statistics. Amanmuradova sent down four aces compared to one by the South African while Scheepers suffered three double faults to her opponent’s two.
Scheepers did come out tops in the first serve percentage though, with a 70% return compared to Amanmuradova’s 60%.
Amanmuradova now leads the head-to-head count 4-2 against Scheepers and went on to play fourth seeded Daniela Hantuchova┬á of Slovakia in the quarter-finals.
Scheepers picked up just over $3,000 for making the second round. She and coach Roger Anderson are now in Dubai for the $2,050,00 Barclays Dubai Championships which start on Monday.