- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
- SA wheelchair tennis rocked by tragedy
- Ace SA duo in series triumph Down Under
- Montjane ends season on a double high
Chani at Pattaya Open
- Updated: February 8, 2011
Our top-ranked women’s tennis player, Chani Scheepers, will be in action in the Far East on Tuesday.
She’s playing the $220,000 PTT Pattaya Open in Thailand and the Harrismith-born player will be out to try and improve on her 80th spot on the Sony Ericsson Tour rankings list, writes Mark Etheridge.
Scheepers, back in South Africa recently where she took in the SA Open at Montecasino, Johannesburg, comes up against Germany’s Tatjana Malek in the first round. Malek was the tournament’s last direct acceptance.
Scheepers, who reached the third round of the Australian Open in Melbourne last month, will no doubt fancy her chances against the 134th ranked Malek when they meet in the first round.
They’ve faced each other on two previous occasions, both on hard-court surfaces, and are all-square going into their latest match. In 2008 Malek beat Scheepers 6-3 6-0 in a Luxembourg qualifying competition and then last year Scheepers prevailed in Kuala Lumpur where she went through 4-6 6-2 6-3 in a Round of 16 match-up.