- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
Chani at Pattaya Open
- Updated: February 8, 2011
Our top-ranked women’s tennis player, Chani Scheepers, will be in action in the Far East on Tuesday.
She’s playing the $220,000 PTT Pattaya Open in Thailand and the Harrismith-born player will be out to try and improve on her 80th spot on the Sony Ericsson Tour rankings list, writes Mark Etheridge.
Scheepers, back in South Africa recently where she took in the SA Open at Montecasino, Johannesburg, comes up against Germany’s Tatjana Malek in the first round. Malek was the tournament’s last direct acceptance.
Scheepers, who reached the third round of the Australian Open in Melbourne last month, will no doubt fancy her chances against the 134th ranked Malek when they meet in the first round.
They’ve faced each other on two previous occasions, both on hard-court surfaces, and are all-square going into their latest match. In 2008 Malek beat Scheepers 6-3 6-0 in a Luxembourg qualifying competition and then last year Scheepers prevailed in Kuala Lumpur where she went through 4-6 6-2 6-3 in a Round of 16 match-up.