- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
Pietie 10 shy of record
- Updated: February 4, 2011
There was good and bad news for the Investec South Africa women’s hockey team on Thursday night.
The bad news that they went down 3-1 to world number four China at the University of Free State in Bloemfontein.
This leaves the three-Test Bloemfontein leg of the Investec International Series locked at 1-1 with the decider being fought out at 5pm on Saturday.
The good news is that SA scored through phenomenal Pietie Coetzee in the first half, giving her a 210th goal in 215 Tests and she’s now just 10 short of the world record.
Investec Player of the match Ma Yibo netted two penalty corners with the other goal for the Asian champions going to striker Li Xue.
There was another spot of bad news for the SA girls as they were without the experienced Kathleen Taylor for Thursday’s match.
Taylor was bitten by a spider during the Johannesburg leg of the Investec International Series and Wednesday the in-form forward had to leave the field during South Africa’s 2-1 defeat of China.
She underwent a successful operation under anaesthetic on Thursday to remove the poison.