- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
Pietie 10 shy of record
- Updated: February 4, 2011
There was good and bad news for the Investec South Africa women’s hockey team on Thursday night.
The bad news that they went down 3-1 to world number four China at the University of Free State in Bloemfontein.
This leaves the three-Test Bloemfontein leg of the Investec International Series locked at 1-1 with the decider being fought out at 5pm on Saturday.
The good news is that SA scored through phenomenal Pietie Coetzee in the first half, giving her a 210th goal in 215 Tests and she’s now just 10 short of the world record.
Investec Player of the match Ma Yibo netted two penalty corners with the other goal for the Asian champions going to striker Li Xue.
There was another spot of bad news for the SA girls as they were without the experienced Kathleen Taylor for Thursday’s match.
Taylor was bitten by a spider during the Johannesburg leg of the Investec International Series and Wednesday the in-form forward had to leave the field during South Africa’s 2-1 defeat of China.
She underwent a successful operation under anaesthetic on Thursday to remove the poison.