- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
Murray makes good in Mykonos
- Updated: January 31, 2011
Richard Murray got his 2011 campaign off with a win at the Western Province Championships at Club Mykonos on Saturday, despite doing an additional 3-4km on the bike, due to a marshalling error.
An 8am start in the cold waters off Langebaan, saw the athletes get the swim underway with wetsuits in the 17.5 C temperature sea. Murray was out of the water first (18min 15sec), had a solid transition and flew away on the bike.
On the four-lap bike leg, there was no marshal at the first turn around point to turn Murray back to the finish area and when he realised his error, he had to chase down Dawie Visser and Antoine van Heerden. Even averaging 40km/h on the bike, Murray was unable to catch the duo until he headed out for the run.
The run has always been one of his strongest legs of the triathlon and he soon caught the leaders, then moved away and comfortably headed home for the win over a tough and hilly course. According to Murray it was ÔÇ£a great day in the sun.ÔÇØ