- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Service for Carla
- Updated: January 25, 2011
Top South African cyclist Carla Swart’s life will be celebrated at a memorial service in Port Elizabeth on Thursday, 3rd February.
Fellow cyclists are expected to gather at The Boardwalk Casino’s Vodacom Amphitheatre at 4.30pm. Swart, 23, was killed when she turned in front of an oncoming truck during a training ride in the Free State on January 19.
ÔÇ£It was Carla’s dream to represent South Africa at the world championships and she did us proud on and off the bike while living her dream,ÔÇØ said the director of Cycling South Africa’s road commission Hendrik Lemmer.
Last year, Swart placed 10th in the women’s race at the World Road Championships in Australia and eighth at the Commonwealth Games in India a week later.
She joined the American-based HTC-Highroad professional team this year and was considered one of the country’s best hopes for an Olympic medal in 2012.
Swart’s memorial service is timed to coincide with the South African Road Championships and The Herald VW Cycle Tour national classic the day after, as many of the country’s top cyclists will converge on Nelson Mandela Bay for these events. The national championships take place from February 2 to 5 and The Herald VW Cycle Tour on February 5 and 6.
The Boardwalk will also play host to The Herald VW Cycle Tour’s pre-event expo and registration. Riders can register at the Tsitsikamma Conference Centre on Friday, February 4, from 9am to 7pm or Saturday, February 5, from 9am to 5pm. For more info on the tour, visit www.heraldcycletour.co.za.