- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
Silver and bronze for SA in Uganda
- Updated: January 19, 2011
South African representatives won silver and bronze medals at the recent Inter-Continental schools championships in Uganda.
South Africa was represented by Durban High School (SA Champions in the boys category) and Fichardt Park (SA champions in the girls section) at the Kampala event.
Both our teams managed to qualify for the semi-finals (play-off part of the tournament). The boys lost against Mauritius in the semi-final while Uganda beat Kenya in the other leg. Our girls managed to beat Uganda B in the semi-final of the girls section, whilst Uganda A beat Kenya in the other leg of the girls semi-finals.
In the finals Uganda (an up and coming force in African badminton) proved to be too strong when they won both boys and girls sections, beating Mauritius 3-2 in the boys final and South Africa 3-0 in the girls final.
Our athletes gained valuable exposure and experience and improved on the two bronze medals they won in Mauritius in 2009.
The 2011 SA High Schools Championships is scheduled in Bloemfontein from 6-9 August whilst South Africa will host the All Africa Schools Championships from 12ÔÇô17 December 2011.