- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
Silver and bronze for SA in Uganda
- Updated: January 19, 2011
South African representatives won silver and bronze medals at the recent Inter-Continental schools championships in Uganda.
South Africa was represented by Durban High School (SA Champions in the boys category) and Fichardt Park (SA champions in the girls section) at the Kampala event.
Both our teams managed to qualify for the semi-finals (play-off part of the tournament). The boys lost against Mauritius in the semi-final while Uganda beat Kenya in the other leg. Our girls managed to beat Uganda B in the semi-final of the girls section, whilst Uganda A beat Kenya in the other leg of the girls semi-finals.
In the finals Uganda (an up and coming force in African badminton) proved to be too strong when they won both boys and girls sections, beating Mauritius 3-2 in the boys final and South Africa 3-0 in the girls final.
Our athletes gained valuable exposure and experience and improved on the two bronze medals they won in Mauritius in 2009.
The 2011 SA High Schools Championships is scheduled in Bloemfontein from 6-9 August whilst South Africa will host the All Africa Schools Championships from 12ÔÇô17 December 2011.