- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
Rik takes on top seed
- Updated: January 13, 2011
First round victor Rik de Voest now takes on top-seeded qualifer Blaz Kavcic in the second round of qualifying for the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne.
De Voest beat American Michael McCune in straight sets earlier this week and now plays Kavcic who needed three sets to beat Aussie Benjamin Mitchell in the tough bid to make the main draw of the season’s first Grand Slam, writes Mark Etheridge.
“It’s has been raining here for the most part, but at least I managed to get my first match in, which I won 3 and 2,” said De Voest from Melbourne. “I played solid and smart and feel good about my game. I have a day off before playing my second round qualifying against the number one seed.
“Depending on what happens in Australia I will then head to Singapore for one more challenger event starting the 23rd of January, before heading back to Joburg for the SA Open.”