- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
Rik takes on top seed
- Updated: January 13, 2011
First round victor Rik de Voest now takes on top-seeded qualifer Blaz Kavcic in the second round of qualifying for the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne.
De Voest beat American Michael McCune in straight sets earlier this week and now plays Kavcic who needed three sets to beat Aussie Benjamin Mitchell in the tough bid to make the main draw of the season’s first Grand Slam, writes Mark Etheridge.
“It’s has been raining here for the most part, but at least I managed to get my first match in, which I won 3 and 2,” said De Voest from Melbourne. “I played solid and smart and feel good about my game. I have a day off before playing my second round qualifying against the number one seed.
“Depending on what happens in Australia I will then head to Singapore for one more challenger event starting the 23rd of January, before heading back to Joburg for the SA Open.”