- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
Busy 2011 for Skizo
- Updated: January 3, 2011
By Mark Etheridge
Beijing Olympian Sifiso “Skizo” Nhlapo will be looking to burn up the track once again as he gets his 2011 campaign off to a start.
Nhlapo took much of the first period of 2010 getting back into the swing of things after a serious neck injury in 2009 and did extremely well to place second at the BMX World Championships in Pietermaritzburg.
This year sees big-time cycling returning to KwaZulu-Natal. On this occasion its the first round of the BMX SX event, an Olympic qualifying event.
There’s no doubt that Nhlapo will be looking to top the podium on home soil again.
April is a big month for South African cycling as the MTB mountain bike series comes to Pietermaritzburg as well. And in this code of cycling it’s local hero Greg Minnaar who will be looking to shine.
Two years ago the event kicked off the World Cup Series with Minnaar the man of the moment as he won in front of his home crowd.
The BMX event will be staged on 7-9 April and the mountain bike event from 21-24 April.
As far as “Skizo” Nhlapo’s 2011 schedule looks like, he’s already got two international events scheduled for January, both in the United States, in Reno, Nevada on 15-16 January and then in Guthrie, Oklahoma on 29-30 January. At this stage his year’s racing already has close to 25 events pencilled in.