- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Kevin kicks off in Oz
- Updated: January 2, 2011
By Mark Etheridge
Our top-ranked singles player, Kevin Anderson gets his 2011 season underway in Australia this week.
Ending 201 ranked 61st on the ATP rankings, Anderson will be looking to improve on that mark during 2011 and indeed improve on his career-high ranking of 58th.
The 24-year-old ended last year recovering from an operation to his toe and is upbeat going into this week’s Brisbane International where he’ll take on Spain’s Marcel Granollers, a player ranked 42nd in the world.
“I just arrived in Brisbane yesterday from Chicago. Its a really long flight,” said Anderson on Sunday! I had a good training period in Florida, my toe is 100% healed and feeling good.
“What’s also good was that I was able to work a lot on the physical side as well as on the tennis court.”
Anderson spends some time Down Under with other tournaments in Auckland, New Zealand and Australia before he heads back to South Africa where he will play the South African Open in Johannesburg.
“I’m really looking forward to South Africa and playing at home. It will be exciting being home and playing in front of friends, family and South African tennis fans. It will be a tough tournament, but I will be ready to play and take it one day at a time.”