- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
- SA wheelchair tennis rocked by tragedy
- Ace SA duo in series triumph Down Under
- Montjane ends season on a double high
- Banyana gear up for Ghana after going down to Nigeria
Kevin kicks off in Oz
- Updated: January 2, 2011
By Mark Etheridge
Our top-ranked singles player, Kevin Anderson gets his 2011 season underway in Australia this week.
Ending 201 ranked 61st on the ATP rankings, Anderson will be looking to improve on that mark during 2011 and indeed improve on his career-high ranking of 58th.
The 24-year-old ended last year recovering from an operation to his toe and is upbeat going into this week’s Brisbane International where he’ll take on Spain’s Marcel Granollers, a player ranked 42nd in the world.
“I just arrived in Brisbane yesterday from Chicago. Its a really long flight,” said Anderson on Sunday! I had a good training period in Florida, my toe is 100% healed and feeling good.
“What’s also good was that I was able to work a lot on the physical side as well as on the tennis court.”
Anderson spends some time Down Under with other tournaments in Auckland, New Zealand and Australia before he heads back to South Africa where he will play the South African Open in Johannesburg.
“I’m really looking forward to South Africa and playing at home. It will be exciting being home and playing in front of friends, family and South African tennis fans. It will be a tough tournament, but I will be ready to play and take it one day at a time.”