- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Sam backs our women taking on Argentina
- Updated: December 7, 2010
SASCOC┬á president, Gideon Sam, has backed the South African women’s hockey team’s upcoming series against 2010 world champions Argentina, which takes place at the University of Free State Hockey Centre from 12-17 December.
“The upcoming encounter with Argentina is the correct way to go for hockey,” the SASCOC president said. “Take on the tough opposition that Argentina will offer us and test our strength, rather than play weaker opposition. Such tough encounters help us to assess where we are in terms of playing strength and what combinations work better where, and against what kind of opposition.”
Jon Cook reports that the series at UFS kicks off Sunday at 5.30 pm with the second and third Test matches at the same time next Monday and Wednesday.
Next Thursday’s public holiday international is at 3.30pm with the final encounter next Friday from 10 am.
Sam also voiced his approval at the SA Hockey Association’s strategy of inviting players from the Youth High Performance Programme to the senior national camp, which is taking place this week at University of Free State as part of world number 12 South Africa’s preparation for the series against Las Leonas (The Lionesses).
“It is good a strategy for SAHA to develop the youth teams underneath the senior teams, as it allows hockey to see the depth they have in the sport.”