Hi Kevin, wished you also take time to play Davis Cup, would be such a benefit for the kids to see you in action, but neverthe less keep fit and healthy for 2011
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Kevin targets 2011
- Updated: December 2, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Our top ranked singles player, Kevin Anderson is fighting fit again and will warm up for 2011’s opening Grand Slam event with tournaments in Australia and New Zealand.
Currently on holiday in South Africa, Anderson has already started training after surgery for a troublesome toe.
“It’s the same toe that prevented me playing Davis Cup,” Anderson said on Thursday. “I put the op off for as long as possible but eventually had to have it. It’s healed now and I’ve started training again. I leave for Florida on Monday to continue off-season training and then leave for Australia at the end of the month and will start in Brisbane, then play Auckland and then the Australian Open which I’m looking forward to.”
In terms of his 2010 Anderson, now ranked 61st on the ATP Tour rankings says: “This year was a high point, a good year for me. I made a lot of improvements. One high point would definitely be the US Open and making the third round, something I’m definitely going to build on.
“The low point was definitely the French Open, it was tough. After being 2-0 up in sets and having chances in the third made losing that one very tough. So I’m looking at 2011 to continue to improve and use what I have learnt this year. Off the court I’m really looking to improve my scheduling and obviously doing my best to remain healthy throughout the year.”
It hasn’t been all work and no play for Anderson. “I was in Port Elizabeth and Cape Town on holiday with my fiancee [Kelsey O’Neal] and my parents. It was her first trip here and I haven’t been back for some time and we had a really amazing time.’