- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
Steyn’s the one to watch
- Updated: November 26, 2010
Andrea Steyn will be odds on favourite to win the 2010 Pretoria-Tshwane ITU Triathlon African Cup on Sunday with the withdrawal of defending champion Kate Roberts due to injury.
Even had Roberts, still struggling with a hip injury, been fully fit she would have had her work cut out for her to defeat a resurgent Steyn.
The SA champion has had an up and down kind of year as she battled with injury in the first five months of 2010. But once she found her fitness, the Steyn of old came through. A seventh spot at the World Duathlon Championships and an unbeaten run at the BSG/Energade Tri Sprint Series have shown that Steyn is getting back into her dominant form again.
Winning breeds confidence and Steyn will certainly go into Sunday’s race brimful of it. She missed the first of the BSG/Energade Series races, resting after the World Championship Series Grand Finale in Budapest, but has since swept all before her in the series.
Her biggest challenge is likely to come in the shape of Riana De Lange. But De Lange will need to work very hard on the bike to get an edge over Steyn, as the latter’s running is her strength. With the race being draft legal, De Lange may need to try and open a fair sized gap on the 1500m swim to negate the advantage of drafting.
The Elite ladies get underway at 10.05 am. At stake for Steyn and the rest of the field are 250 ITU Ranking points as well as a purse of R4500.
All information is available at http://www.triathlonsa.co.za/Public/ViewEvent.aspx?id=105