- Stings down champs as Jaguars post Brutal record
- Bogey-free Bekker builds four-stroke lead in Lusaka
- National Orders honour for rowing’s ‘Oarsome Foursome’
- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
Louw and Knipe on top
- Updated: November 14, 2010
Adriaan Louw and Louis-Bresler Knipe of team Contego Elite took no prisoners during Stage Two of the Contego Wines2Whales MTB Race around Grabouw on Saturday.
Crossing the finishing line first in an impressive time of 3hr 24min 48sec, Team Contego Elite then started the 78.1 kilometres of Stage Three on Sunday with a mere 36sec gap separating them from reigning champs Oliver Munnik and Erik Kleinhans of team GT Mr Price William Simpson.
According to Louw their strategy going into Stage Two was to make it known that they were here to race. ÔÇ£We felt really good today.┬á The course was perfect for mountain bike racing, the loads of single track just made it so much more enjoyable.┬áAlthough we’re a young team, Louis-Bresler and I complement each other extremely well.┬á Our plan for Sunday is to work together as hard as possible and hopefully we’ll cross the line first,ÔÇØ says Louw.
Team GT Mr Price William Simpson came in second, while Team Cyclelab Sub Vets finished third.
Karien van Jaarsveld and Cherise Taylor of team Ladies USN continued their winning streak completing the route in a time of 4:02:31.
ÔÇ£We are really blessed to have experienced this amazing route today,ÔÇØ says van Jaarsveld.┬á ÔÇ£The single track was just lovely.┬áStarting at a fast pace, Cherise and I pushed really hard.┬á We have a great partnership, which allows us to achieve a lot of synergies.┬áWe’re really enjoying every minute of this raceÔÇØ.
Team Momentum Specialised Insurance Ladies came in second, while First Ascent Wines2Whales finished third.
Yolande de Villiers and Johan Labuschangne of team Cyclelab KTM once again proved to be too strong for the mixed category competition.
They crossed the finish time in an impressive time of 3:52.┬á Team Decorton came in second, while Team Fair Cape Mixed finished third.
An impressive number of veteran male riders have entered this year’s Contego Wines2Whales MTB Race.┬áFred Coleske and Gustav Hefer of Team Hermanuspietersfontein finished first in this category with a deserving time of 3:46:13. Team Wildekrans 1 came in second, while Team Robert Daniel Vergelegen finished third.
The final stage is an 85km trek between Grabouw Country Club and Onrus Caravan Park near Hermanus.