- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Izak, Rik crash at Calabasas
- Updated: October 22, 2010
Izak van der Merwe and Rik de Voest have both gone down in the first round of the Calabasas California Men’s Pro Tournament in California.
Van der Merwe (168th) and De Voest (196) are our second and third ranked players on the ATP Tour behind Kevin Anderson who this week moved up to 63rd in the world.
Fifth seeded Van der Merwe lost to American Ryan Harrison 6-4 6-3 while De Voest bowed out to Australian James Lemke 7-6 (5) 0-6 1-6. Van der Merwe also went out in the first round of the doubles competition.
Another South African who has been based in the US for years now, Gary Sacks, made it past the first round by beating wildcard Cecil Mamiit of the Philippines but fell at the next hurdle to second seeded Ryan Sweeting.
In the Nigeria F1 tournament Raven Klaasen moved into the third round after beating the host country’s A-Ma Babalola 7-5 6-2.