- Stings down champs as Jaguars post Brutal record
- Bogey-free Bekker builds four-stroke lead in Lusaka
- National Orders honour for rowing’s ‘Oarsome Foursome’
- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
Izak, Rik crash at Calabasas
- Updated: October 22, 2010
Izak van der Merwe and Rik de Voest have both gone down in the first round of the Calabasas California Men’s Pro Tournament in California.
Van der Merwe (168th) and De Voest (196) are our second and third ranked players on the ATP Tour behind Kevin Anderson who this week moved up to 63rd in the world.
Fifth seeded Van der Merwe lost to American Ryan Harrison 6-4 6-3 while De Voest bowed out to Australian James Lemke 7-6 (5) 0-6 1-6. Van der Merwe also went out in the first round of the doubles competition.
Another South African who has been based in the US for years now, Gary Sacks, made it past the first round by beating wildcard Cecil Mamiit of the Philippines but fell at the next hurdle to second seeded Ryan Sweeting.
In the Nigeria F1 tournament Raven Klaasen moved into the third round after beating the host country’s A-Ma Babalola 7-5 6-2.