- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
Izak, Rik crash at Calabasas
- Updated: October 22, 2010
Izak van der Merwe and Rik de Voest have both gone down in the first round of the Calabasas California Men’s Pro Tournament in California.
Van der Merwe (168th) and De Voest (196) are our second and third ranked players on the ATP Tour behind Kevin Anderson who this week moved up to 63rd in the world.
Fifth seeded Van der Merwe lost to American Ryan Harrison 6-4 6-3 while De Voest bowed out to Australian James Lemke 7-6 (5) 0-6 1-6. Van der Merwe also went out in the first round of the doubles competition.
Another South African who has been based in the US for years now, Gary Sacks, made it past the first round by beating wildcard Cecil Mamiit of the Philippines but fell at the next hurdle to second seeded Ryan Sweeting.
In the Nigeria F1 tournament Raven Klaasen moved into the third round after beating the host country’s A-Ma Babalola 7-5 6-2.