- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Izak, Rik crash at Calabasas
- Updated: October 22, 2010
Izak van der Merwe and Rik de Voest have both gone down in the first round of the Calabasas California Men’s Pro Tournament in California.
Van der Merwe (168th) and De Voest (196) are our second and third ranked players on the ATP Tour behind Kevin Anderson who this week moved up to 63rd in the world.
Fifth seeded Van der Merwe lost to American Ryan Harrison 6-4 6-3 while De Voest bowed out to Australian James Lemke 7-6 (5) 0-6 1-6. Van der Merwe also went out in the first round of the doubles competition.
Another South African who has been based in the US for years now, Gary Sacks, made it past the first round by beating wildcard Cecil Mamiit of the Philippines but fell at the next hurdle to second seeded Ryan Sweeting.
In the Nigeria F1 tournament Raven Klaasen moved into the third round after beating the host country’s A-Ma Babalola 7-5 6-2.