- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Izak, Rik crash at Calabasas
- Updated: October 22, 2010
Izak van der Merwe and Rik de Voest have both gone down in the first round of the Calabasas California Men’s Pro Tournament in California.
Van der Merwe (168th) and De Voest (196) are our second and third ranked players on the ATP Tour behind Kevin Anderson who this week moved up to 63rd in the world.
Fifth seeded Van der Merwe lost to American Ryan Harrison 6-4 6-3 while De Voest bowed out to Australian James Lemke 7-6 (5) 0-6 1-6. Van der Merwe also went out in the first round of the doubles competition.
Another South African who has been based in the US for years now, Gary Sacks, made it past the first round by beating wildcard Cecil Mamiit of the Philippines but fell at the next hurdle to second seeded Ryan Sweeting.
In the Nigeria F1 tournament Raven Klaasen moved into the third round after beating the host country’s A-Ma Babalola 7-5 6-2.