- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Chani misses main draw
- Updated: October 21, 2010
Our top-ranked women’s singles player Chanelle Scheepers failed to make the main draw of the Luxembourg Open tournament this week.
Seeded eighth in the qualifying draw, she tasted initial success when she beat Caroline Garcia of France 3-6 6-3 6-2.
Garcia is currently ranked 312th on the WTA rankings, compared to Scheepers’ 108th spot. Earlier this year Scheepers had progressed to the fourth round of the French Open in Paris.
In her second round qualifying clash Scheepers went down 7-5 1-6 3-6 to local lass Anne Kremer, ranked 175th and Luxembourg’s second highest ranked player.
It didn’t get much better for Scheepers in the doubles qualifying as she and France’s Aurelie Vedy went down 6-4 3-6 5-10 to the wildcard combination of former top 10 player Ana Ivanovic (Serbia) and Belgium’s Yanina Wickmayer.