- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Chani misses main draw
- Updated: October 21, 2010
Our top-ranked women’s singles player Chanelle Scheepers failed to make the main draw of the Luxembourg Open tournament this week.
Seeded eighth in the qualifying draw, she tasted initial success when she beat Caroline Garcia of France 3-6 6-3 6-2.
Garcia is currently ranked 312th on the WTA rankings, compared to Scheepers’ 108th spot. Earlier this year Scheepers had progressed to the fourth round of the French Open in Paris.
In her second round qualifying clash Scheepers went down 7-5 1-6 3-6 to local lass Anne Kremer, ranked 175th and Luxembourg’s second highest ranked player.
It didn’t get much better for Scheepers in the doubles qualifying as she and France’s Aurelie Vedy went down 6-4 3-6 5-10 to the wildcard combination of former top 10 player Ana Ivanovic (Serbia) and Belgium’s Yanina Wickmayer.