- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
Andrea, Erhard win in Potchefstroom
- Updated: October 18, 2010
Andrea Steyn and Erhard Wolfaardt won the second of the seven-legged BSG/Energade Triathlon Sprint series in Potchefstroom on Sunday. The race was Steyn’s first since returning from Europe and was a good test of her fitness.
ÔÇ£This was my first week back in hard training, so I could feel I am not quite race fit, but it is a good start,ÔÇØ said the BSG Athlete.
Steyn had some work to do for this win as she lost valuable time on the swim, emerging almost 30 seconds down on Lucy Zelenkova. But then the strength on the bike came through for Steyn.
And strength she would need as Zelenkova was flying. “I could not catch her on the bike, she was too strong. I was only able to get four seconds back on the bike which meant I had a lot of work to do on the run.ÔÇØ
Steyn was flying on the 5km run though, catching Zelenkova after 2km and was then on her own out in front, crossing the line in 1hr 08min 48sec for the 600-metre swim, 20km cycle and 5km run.
ÔÇ£It was hard, but it is good to have a win under the belt. Still lots of hard work to do,ÔÇØ said Steyn after the race.
The men’s race was a tight affair as the ÔÇ£big gunsÔÇØ went tooth and nail right down to the finish line. Erhardt Wolfaardt, Claude Eksteen, Sander Berk, Chris Felgate and Michael Davidson came out of the water together, needing around 7min25sec for the 600m. The group stayed together on the bike, but on the run Wolfaardt was strongest and went to win in 59:02 with Sander Berk seven seconds adrift.
1 Erhard Wolfaardt 59min 02sec
2 Sander Berk 59:09
3. Michael Davidson 59:41
4. Claude Eksteen 1:00:24
5. Chris Felgate 1:01:12
1 Andrea Steyn 1:08;04
2 Lucy Zelenkova :08;48
3 Tanya Glover┬á1:11:31
4 Carlyn Fischer 1:11:44
5 Riana De Lange 1:12:57