- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Baker delivers gold
- Updated: October 12, 2010
Gerry Baker showed buckets of BMT as he starred with the final wood helping South Africa to win the men’s pairs at the Commonwealth Games.
Trailing 13-7 on the final end, Baker delivered his final wood with perfect speed and it took out the wood that would have given England the second set. Instead, Baker’s bowl was perfect and it gave him and playing partner Shaun Addinall six shots to tie the set 13-13, but win gold, having taken the first set.
“That’s an unbelievable shot,” said the excited TV commentator. “That is easily the shot of the match, worthy of winning gold in itself. It might also be the best shot we have seen at these Commonwealth Games.”
South Africa continue their quest for more bowls gold on Tuesday.