- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
Baker delivers gold
- Updated: October 12, 2010
Gerry Baker showed buckets of BMT as he starred with the final wood helping South Africa to win the men’s pairs at the Commonwealth Games.
Trailing 13-7 on the final end, Baker delivered his final wood with perfect speed and it took out the wood that would have given England the second set. Instead, Baker’s bowl was perfect and it gave him and playing partner Shaun Addinall six shots to tie the set 13-13, but win gold, having taken the first set.
“That’s an unbelievable shot,” said the excited TV commentator. “That is easily the shot of the match, worthy of winning gold in itself. It might also be the best shot we have seen at these Commonwealth Games.”
South Africa continue their quest for more bowls gold on Tuesday.