- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
Baker delivers gold
- Updated: October 12, 2010
Gerry Baker showed buckets of BMT as he starred with the final wood helping South Africa to win the men’s pairs at the Commonwealth Games.
Trailing 13-7 on the final end, Baker delivered his final wood with perfect speed and it took out the wood that would have given England the second set. Instead, Baker’s bowl was perfect and it gave him and playing partner Shaun Addinall six shots to tie the set 13-13, but win gold, having taken the first set.
“That’s an unbelievable shot,” said the excited TV commentator. “That is easily the shot of the match, worthy of winning gold in itself. It might also be the best shot we have seen at these Commonwealth Games.”
South Africa continue their quest for more bowls gold on Tuesday.