- Championship Records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Sensational Sunette soars
- Updated: October 9, 2010
Sunette Viljoen spearheaded Team South Africa’s medal rush with gold at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi on Saturday.
The defending Commonwealth javelin champion hurled the projectile 62.34 metres to win the event in fairly comfortable fashion.
And making it even better for South Africa was her team-mate┬á Justine’s Robbeson’s bronze in the same event as she threw 60.03m. Australia’s Kim Mickle (60.90m, a season’s best) was sandwiched between the two South Africans.
The two athletes boosted the South African medals tally to 27 on the sixth day of the competition.
Viljoen turned┬á 27┬á on Wednesday and it was a belated celebration as she accepted the South African flag from supporters and posed in front of the television cameras.
Her victorious throw came with her third throw after she opened with a 55.84, progressed to 60.30 and then unleashed the victory effort.
Her winning distance was also a Games record, surpassing the 60.72 she threw in Melbourne, Australia four years ago.
Robbeson, 25, produced her bronze medal effort with her second throw.