- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Nhlapo shares his skills with rising stars
- Updated: October 3, 2010
UCI BMX World Championship silver medallist and Grand National champion, Sifiso Nhlapo hosted the Red Bull Under My Wings workshop for up and coming BMX hopefuls aimed at educating the young BMX talent in South Africa on what the formula is for a successful BMX career from an athlete who is on his way to the top.
Nhlapo spent three days with 15 of South Africa’s most promising BMX riders at the MTN/Toyota Cycling Park in Bryanston, Johannesburg. The riders were mentored on the fundamentals of becoming a professional BMX’er by major role players in Sifiso’s current management team.
Topics ranged from career management, sponsorship, nutrition, media training from Owen Hannie (Supersport Super Cycling and 5FM) as well as track time with Sifiso himself.
Sifiso also gave a personal account of the trial and tribulations in his career, from injury to victory and made it clear to the riders that it’s a tough journey to the top but the rewards are worth it.
The aim of the Red Bull Under My Wings program is to provide young athletes with valuable tools such as one-on-one guidance and expert mentoring to develop their skills in the sport they are passionate about. The program has travelled worldwide, uniting talented young hopefuls with the best athletes in the world to provide a once in a lifetime experience with their hero.
ÔÇ£I’m very happy to have had the opportunity to work with these kids and give the m the inside scoop on what it takes to be a pro rider. I’m very proud of the progress I’ve seen over this weekendÔÇØ, said Nhlapo.
Skizo is now on his way the UCI BMX Supercross finals in France on 8 & 9 October and is looking race-ready for attending the 2012 Olympic Games to be held in London.