- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
Marc, Matthew seal win
- Updated: September 30, 2010
Our Junior Davis Cup tennis team have bounced back from an opening round defeat to beat Australia in Mexico on Wednesday.
The South Africans lost their first group tie 3-0 against Canada in San Luis Potosi but regrouped to forge a 2-1 victory against Australia.
Wayne Montgomery went down to Jordan Thompson in the opening encounter, losing 6-4 6-3 but Marc van der Merwe then won his match and our doubles combination then sealed the victory.
Van der Merwe beat Jack Schipanski in three sets, 6-7 7-6 6-0 and then he and Matthew Rossouw teamed up to beat Thompson and Jay Andrijc in straight sets 7-5 6-4.
It was a morale-boosting win for South Africa against the competition’s seventh seeds.
On Thursday they’ll be looking to beat Russia, the other team in their group, and go through to the next stage of the competition.