- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Marc, Matthew seal win
- Updated: September 30, 2010
Our Junior Davis Cup tennis team have bounced back from an opening round defeat to beat Australia in Mexico on Wednesday.
The South Africans lost their first group tie 3-0 against Canada in San Luis Potosi but regrouped to forge a 2-1 victory against Australia.
Wayne Montgomery went down to Jordan Thompson in the opening encounter, losing 6-4 6-3 but Marc van der Merwe then won his match and our doubles combination then sealed the victory.
Van der Merwe beat Jack Schipanski in three sets, 6-7 7-6 6-0 and then he and Matthew Rossouw teamed up to beat Thompson and Jay Andrijc in straight sets 7-5 6-4.
It was a morale-boosting win for South Africa against the competition’s seventh seeds.
On Thursday they’ll be looking to beat Russia, the other team in their group, and go through to the next stage of the competition.