- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
Marc, Matthew seal win
- Updated: September 30, 2010
Our Junior Davis Cup tennis team have bounced back from an opening round defeat to beat Australia in Mexico on Wednesday.
The South Africans lost their first group tie 3-0 against Canada in San Luis Potosi but regrouped to forge a 2-1 victory against Australia.
Wayne Montgomery went down to Jordan Thompson in the opening encounter, losing 6-4 6-3 but Marc van der Merwe then won his match and our doubles combination then sealed the victory.
Van der Merwe beat Jack Schipanski in three sets, 6-7 7-6 6-0 and then he and Matthew Rossouw teamed up to beat Thompson and Jay Andrijc in straight sets 7-5 6-4.
It was a morale-boosting win for South Africa against the competition’s seventh seeds.
On Thursday they’ll be looking to beat Russia, the other team in their group, and go through to the next stage of the competition.