- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
- Sunshine Classic will see the Chase hotting up
- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
Marc, Matthew seal win
- Updated: September 30, 2010
Our Junior Davis Cup tennis team have bounced back from an opening round defeat to beat Australia in Mexico on Wednesday.
The South Africans lost their first group tie 3-0 against Canada in San Luis Potosi but regrouped to forge a 2-1 victory against Australia.
Wayne Montgomery went down to Jordan Thompson in the opening encounter, losing 6-4 6-3 but Marc van der Merwe then won his match and our doubles combination then sealed the victory.
Van der Merwe beat Jack Schipanski in three sets, 6-7 7-6 6-0 and then he and Matthew Rossouw teamed up to beat Thompson and Jay Andrijc in straight sets 7-5 6-4.
It was a morale-boosting win for South Africa against the competition’s seventh seeds.
On Thursday they’ll be looking to beat Russia, the other team in their group, and go through to the next stage of the competition.