- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after excited mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
Davis Cup boys downed
- Updated: September 29, 2010
South Africa have gone down to Canada in their first match of the Junior Davis Cup tennis competition in Mexico.
The South Africans lost 3-0 to the second-seeded Canadians at the tournament being played in the high altitude city San Luis Potos├¡, 1850 metres above sea level.
Wayne Montgomery was beaten by Edward Nguyen in three sets 7-6 5-7 9-7 and then Filip Peliwo beat Marc van der Merwe 7-6 6-3. In the doubles Van der Merwe teamed up with Matthew Rossouw but the two were beaten by Peliwo and Samuel Monette 6-4 6-4.
South Africa have been drawn in Group D together with Canada, Russia and seventh-seeded Australia.
The draw for the tournament was made at the Centro Cultural Universitario and overseen by ITF referee Roberto Browne Da Veiga. A total of 24 countries are represented at the tournament and 32 teams will compete.
It’s the third successive year that the Junior Davis Cup and Junior Fed Cup Finals which run until 3 October, have been played┬á in San Luis Potos├¡.
The South African team are accompanied by coach/manager Tony Vermaak.
Our girls’ team did not qualify for the Junior Fed Cup after their loss to Tunisia.