- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
Davis Cup boys downed
- Updated: September 29, 2010
South Africa have gone down to Canada in their first match of the Junior Davis Cup tennis competition in Mexico.
The South Africans lost 3-0 to the second-seeded Canadians at the tournament being played in the high altitude city San Luis Potos├¡, 1850 metres above sea level.
Wayne Montgomery was beaten by Edward Nguyen in three sets 7-6 5-7 9-7 and then Filip Peliwo beat Marc van der Merwe 7-6 6-3. In the doubles Van der Merwe teamed up with Matthew Rossouw but the two were beaten by Peliwo and Samuel Monette 6-4 6-4.
South Africa have been drawn in Group D together with Canada, Russia and seventh-seeded Australia.
The draw for the tournament was made at the Centro Cultural Universitario and overseen by ITF referee Roberto Browne Da Veiga. A total of 24 countries are represented at the tournament and 32 teams will compete.
It’s the third successive year that the Junior Davis Cup and Junior Fed Cup Finals which run until 3 October, have been played┬á in San Luis Potos├¡.
The South African team are accompanied by coach/manager Tony Vermaak.
Our girls’ team did not qualify for the Junior Fed Cup after their loss to Tunisia.