- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Davis Cup boys downed
- Updated: September 29, 2010
South Africa have gone down to Canada in their first match of the Junior Davis Cup tennis competition in Mexico.
The South Africans lost 3-0 to the second-seeded Canadians at the tournament being played in the high altitude city San Luis Potos├¡, 1850 metres above sea level.
Wayne Montgomery was beaten by Edward Nguyen in three sets 7-6 5-7 9-7 and then Filip Peliwo beat Marc van der Merwe 7-6 6-3. In the doubles Van der Merwe teamed up with Matthew Rossouw but the two were beaten by Peliwo and Samuel Monette 6-4 6-4.
South Africa have been drawn in Group D together with Canada, Russia and seventh-seeded Australia.
The draw for the tournament was made at the Centro Cultural Universitario and overseen by ITF referee Roberto Browne Da Veiga. A total of 24 countries are represented at the tournament and 32 teams will compete.
It’s the third successive year that the Junior Davis Cup and Junior Fed Cup Finals which run until 3 October, have been played┬á in San Luis Potos├¡.
The South African team are accompanied by coach/manager Tony Vermaak.
Our girls’ team did not qualify for the Junior Fed Cup after their loss to Tunisia.