- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
SA still going to Games
- Updated: September 22, 2010
SASCOC CEO Tubby Reddy said on Wednesday that as matters stand South Africa will still send a team to compete at next month’s Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, India.
The head of South Africa’s Olympic governing body, Reddy was talking amid growing concerns over a number of issues surrounding the Games,including security and health concerns.
“SASCOC today met with the relevant state security personnel who have recently returned from India and we are satisfied that every area of our concern has been covered for now.”
Reddy said that the situation was under constant revision. “As matters stand, the team will still leave for India on Sunday, as scheduled. Opon arrival in New Delhi we will once again assess the situation.
“The safety and health of Team South Africa are of paramount importance to us and if any stage we feel that this is compromisedin any way we will not hesitate to bring the team back home.”
SASCOC will continue to issue updated information on the Commonwealth situation when necessary.