- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
- Crinums go down again as Fireballs shine
- Hoffman celebrates birthday with Classic victory
- Matriculant Du Toit is joint leader at the Wanderers
- Queen’s Baton Relay gets ever closer to South Africa
Ten more medals in Morocco
- Updated: September 16, 2010
There’s just no stopping the South African swimming team as they bagged five golds, three silvers and two bronze medals on the third day of the 10th Senior African Swimming Championships in Casablanca, Morocco on Wednesday.
This means that they have won 11, 11 and 10 medals on each of the last three days of competition.
Leone Vorster won her second gold medal of the competition in the 400-metre freestyle clocking a fast 4min 18.86sec. Finishing closely behind her was Rene Warnes with a time of 4:19.22.
Chanelle van Wyk and Jessica Ashley-Cooper were once again the gold and silver duo, this time in the 100m backstroke. With over 2 seconds ahead of Jessica (1:04.15), Chanelle touched the wall in 1:02.32 to claim the gold medal.
The fast improving Darren Murray continued to impress when he swam to a yet another gold medal in the 200m backstroke in 2:01.44.
In the 50m breaststroke, Ronwyn Roper was overjoyed when she won her first medal of the competition, finishing with the bronze in 33.79.
Neil Watson and Garth Tune took the silver and bronze medals in the 50m butterfly in times of 24.40 and 24.41 respectively.
It was two golds and two championship records for the South African relay teams. The women’s quartet of Karin Prinsloo, Leone Vorster, Chanelle van Wyk and Mandy Loots led the way in the 4x100m freestyle relay race finishing with a time of 3:50.15.
In the men’s 4x200m freestyle relay, Daniel Marais, Jay-Cee Thomson, Devon Brown and Wesley Gilchrist claimed gold in 7:29.21 to end the evening on a high note.