- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
The Woods walk tall at nationals
- Updated: August 31, 2010
Six champions were crowned at the 2010 senior national fencing championships held at the University of Free State in Bloemfontein.
Michael and Elvira Wood scooped three of the six individual titles at stake, Mike winning the men’s epee and sabre and Elvira the women’s sabre.
The husband and wife team both represented South Africa at the last Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008.
Other winners were Jacques Viljoen in the men’s foil while Shih-Ya Huang took the women’s epee title and Gisele Vicatos won the foil title.
Another of South Africa’s fencing stars is Marguerite Langton. A radiographer by profession, 64-year-old Langton won gold in the veteran’s category (sabre) in 2008 and 2009, silver in 2007 and gold in 2006. She’ll once again be competing at the world championships in Croatia in September.