- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Rik into US Open main draw
- Updated: August 28, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Our Davis Cup team player Rik de Voest moved into the main draw of the US Open next week when he came through qualifying at Flushing Meadows on Friday.
De Voest beat Serbia’s Ilija Bozoljac, the 14th seed in qualifying, 6-3 7-6 to make the main draw.
He now plays 25th ranked Frenchman Adrian Mannarino in the next round.
Twenty-two-year-old Mannarino is ranked 153rd in the world compared to De Voest’s 202nd but De Voest is through to play David Nalbandian in the first round of the US Open.
“It was a close one at the end,” said De Voest. “He served for the second set at 5-4, I broke and then won the tie-breaker 10-8. So it was a tight one but I’m through to the main draw and that’s good.”