- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
Rik into US Open main draw
- Updated: August 28, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Our Davis Cup team player Rik de Voest moved into the main draw of the US Open next week when he came through qualifying at Flushing Meadows on Friday.
De Voest beat Serbia’s Ilija Bozoljac, the 14th seed in qualifying, 6-3 7-6 to make the main draw.
He now plays 25th ranked Frenchman Adrian Mannarino in the next round.
Twenty-two-year-old Mannarino is ranked 153rd in the world compared to De Voest’s 202nd but De Voest is through to play David Nalbandian in the first round of the US Open.
“It was a close one at the end,” said De Voest. “He served for the second set at 5-4, I broke and then won the tie-breaker 10-8. So it was a tight one but I’m through to the main draw and that’s good.”