- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
Third round win for Rik
- Updated: August 27, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Davis Cup player Rik de Voest has moved into the third round of qualifying for next week’s US Open tennis tournament in New York.
The South African, ranked 231 on the ATP world rankings, now comes up against the qualifying draw’s 14th seed, Serbia’s Iluja Bozoljac. Bozoljac is currently ranked 132nd in the world.
De Voest reached the third round by beating Croatian Antonio Veic in the first round 6-1 6-0 and then got the better of Austria’s Stefan Koubek in the second, 6-4 6-4.
Earlier, another South African Davis Cup member, Izak van der Merwe, was knocked out in the first round of qualifying by Slovakia’s Marin Klizan 6-4 6-3.
Our top hope in the main draw is our highest ranked player, Kevin Anderson. The world’s 77th ranked player comes up against fellow
Davis Cup player Somdev Devvarman of India, that country’s top-raned player (No 99).
In the women’s main draw our top-ranked player Chanelle Scheepers, who reached the fourth round of the French Open, earlier this year, will come up against a qualifier in the first round.