- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
- Paralympian Ferreira on the mend and targeting nationals
- Hoffman stars but track champs are marred by tragedy
- Fumic, Avancini on the double at Cape Epic
- Poor health can’t stop Dalle Ave breaking new ground
- Zazini blitzes to 400m hurdles world youth best
Boost for women’s hockey
- Updated: August 27, 2010
Financial giants Investec have thrown their weight behind our national women’s hockey side as they tackle the Women’s World Cup in Argentina, starting on Sunday.
The international specialist bank and asset managers’ brand will feature on the team shirts as the tournament gets underway in Rosario on Sunday.
South Africa play round-robin matches against England, Argentina, China, Korea and Spain in Pool B. Pool A is made up of Holland, Germany, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, India.
A crowd of 15,000 is expected to be at the opening game and South Africa play hosts and tournament favourites Argentina in a tough opening encounter.
Marissa Langeni, CEO of SA Hockey, said: “We are delighted to have Investec as a sponsor for the women’s team at the World Cup. Investec is a highly respected international specialist bank and asset manager and our goal is to grow our National Woman’s hockey team into a top class international hockey brand.”
“We are looking forward to the World Cup as the new look team under the guidance of Giles Bonnet embark on a two-year journey with a view to being serious medal contenders at the London Olympics in 2012.ÔÇØ
Investec Joint Managing Director in South Africa, Glynn Burger, said: ÔÇ£Investec wish the team all the best and look forward to watching their progress during the tournamentÔÇØ.