- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
Boost for women’s hockey
- Updated: August 27, 2010
Financial giants Investec have thrown their weight behind our national women’s hockey side as they tackle the Women’s World Cup in Argentina, starting on Sunday.
The international specialist bank and asset managers’ brand will feature on the team shirts as the tournament gets underway in Rosario on Sunday.
South Africa play round-robin matches against England, Argentina, China, Korea and Spain in Pool B. Pool A is made up of Holland, Germany, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, India.
A crowd of 15,000 is expected to be at the opening game and South Africa play hosts and tournament favourites Argentina in a tough opening encounter.
Marissa Langeni, CEO of SA Hockey, said: “We are delighted to have Investec as a sponsor for the women’s team at the World Cup. Investec is a highly respected international specialist bank and asset manager and our goal is to grow our National Woman’s hockey team into a top class international hockey brand.”
“We are looking forward to the World Cup as the new look team under the guidance of Giles Bonnet embark on a two-year journey with a view to being serious medal contenders at the London Olympics in 2012.ÔÇØ
Investec Joint Managing Director in South Africa, Glynn Burger, said: ÔÇ£Investec wish the team all the best and look forward to watching their progress during the tournamentÔÇØ.