- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Strong showing by hosts EP
- Updated: August 25, 2010
Host team Eastern Province held one of the tournament favourites, Southern Gauteng, to a goalless draw on day one of the men’s interprovincial hockey tournament in Port Elizabeth on Tuesday.
In doing so Eastern Province will show that they won’t exactly be a punchbag making up the numbers at the tournament.
Day One featured at least two derby-type matches. Defending champions the KZN Raiders beat neighbours, KZN Inland 3-1.
And former champions Western Province took on Peninsula and left until late before a second goal from national captain Austin Smith sealed a 3-2 win in the last 10 minutes.
Western Province and Southerns meet each other in Wednesday’s match of the day.
In Tuesday’s other match Gauteng North beat A Division newcomers Amathole 7-1.