- Dusi seedings up for grabs at Umpetha Challenge
- Honoured Prinsloo looks to make even bigger strides
- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
Strong showing by hosts EP
- Updated: August 25, 2010
Host team Eastern Province held one of the tournament favourites, Southern Gauteng, to a goalless draw on day one of the men’s interprovincial hockey tournament in Port Elizabeth on Tuesday.
In doing so Eastern Province will show that they won’t exactly be a punchbag making up the numbers at the tournament.
Day One featured at least two derby-type matches. Defending champions the KZN Raiders beat neighbours, KZN Inland 3-1.
And former champions Western Province took on Peninsula and left until late before a second goal from national captain Austin Smith sealed a 3-2 win in the last 10 minutes.
Western Province and Southerns meet each other in Wednesday’s match of the day.
In Tuesday’s other match Gauteng North beat A Division newcomers Amathole 7-1.