- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
Strong showing by hosts EP
- Updated: August 25, 2010
Host team Eastern Province held one of the tournament favourites, Southern Gauteng, to a goalless draw on day one of the men’s interprovincial hockey tournament in Port Elizabeth on Tuesday.
In doing so Eastern Province will show that they won’t exactly be a punchbag making up the numbers at the tournament.
Day One featured at least two derby-type matches. Defending champions the KZN Raiders beat neighbours, KZN Inland 3-1.
And former champions Western Province took on Peninsula and left until late before a second goal from national captain Austin Smith sealed a 3-2 win in the last 10 minutes.
Western Province and Southerns meet each other in Wednesday’s match of the day.
In Tuesday’s other match Gauteng North beat A Division newcomers Amathole 7-1.