- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
Kevin, Izak move up rankings
- Updated: August 16, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Our leading two men’s tennis stars both climbed up the ATP Tour ranking ladder on Monday.
Top-ranked Kevin Anderson moved up 11 positions to find himself placed at position No76. This after his good performance in making the third round of the Rogers Cup in Montreal where he lost to top seed Rafael Nadal.
Next best is Izak van der Merwe who showed an even more dramatic climb, going from 189 up to 159th spot, an improvement of 30 places.
Third ranked Rik de Voest though, dropped 14 spots, from 216 to 230.
All three players will be representing South Africa in Davis Cup action against Germany in Stuttgart later this month.
On the doubles front Wesley Moodie has slipped five position in the ATP doubles rankings, going down from 25th to 20. He and Belgian team-mate Dick Norman are playing the Cincinnati Masters in the US this week and will be hoping to up their rankings there.
Our other doubles specialist, Jeff Coetzee, has also slipped down the rankings this week, going out 10 positions to 113rd while De Voest and Van der Merwe are ranked 114 (-13) and 170th (+10) respectively.