- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
Hendrik sixth in London
- Updated: August 10, 2010
Hendrik de Villiers is beginning to find the form that saw him finish fourth at the World Triathlon Championships in 2008 and looks like he could be an Olympic Games medal contender again.
De Villiers, who had been battling with illness over the last few years and has gone back to the type of training that saw him do so well in 2008 and the results are beginning to come through.
On Sunday at the London Triathlon, he finished sixth, less than a minute behind winner Australia’s Courtney Atkinson and the UK’s Tim Don.
De Villiers was in a big group out of the water. On the bike Tim Don and Stuart Heyes led a breakaway of four riders and were able to open a gap of 23 seconds on the bunch. De Villiers, in the second bunch which included Atkinson, Jarryd Schoemaker and Will Clarke, pushed hard to catch the leaders after 25km of the 40km bike leg.
De Villiers though had bad luck just before he entered into the second transition point for the 10km run leg as a group of riders went down in front of him and he lost valuable seconds. From there on he was playing catch up but still finished a creditable sixt, finishing in 1hr 50min 11sec
ÔÇ£That crash cost me time and position, possibly even second, but that is sport and I am happy with my race as I am getting back into form,ÔÇØ said de Villiers from London.
In other results on the weekend, Claude Eksteen, coming off injury finished 17th at the Tiszaujvaros ITU Triathlon World Cup, whilst Rudolph Naude finished third in the Junior race, a mere 18 seconds behind the winner, Ron Darmon.
London Triathlon Results
1 Courtney Atkinson┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á ┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á 1:49:03
2 Tim Don┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á ┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á ┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á ┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á 1:49:08
3 Jarryd Schoemaker┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á ┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á 1:49:15
6 Hendrik de Villiers┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á ┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á┬á 1:50:11