- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Top grapplers gear up at Tuks
- Updated: August 2, 2010
The country’s top amateur wrestlers will all be in action at the weekend for the annual Big-5 tournament held at the University of Pretoria.
Among the 500 entrants are the members of the senior Protea team that have been selected to participate at the Commonwealth Games in India.
The 13 team members are: Richard Addinall, Heinrich Barnes, Bella-Lufa Hughes, Marius Loots, Gerald Meyer, Andries Schutte, Etienne van Huyssteen, Carlo van Wyk, Dean van Zyl, Sonja Coetzee, Brumilda Leeuw, Mpho Madi en Zumicke Geringer.
A team from Oregon in the United States, where Barnes is busy studying, will provide stiff competition to local wrestlers in the junior division. The South African championships will be held in September and the Big-5 is the last remaining big tournament on the calendar that the local wrestlers will use to prepare for this and the Commonwealth Games.
Saturday’s action will take place on eight mats at the Tuks Sports Centre and the first matches are expected to start at 9am.