- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
Top grapplers gear up at Tuks
- Updated: August 2, 2010
The country’s top amateur wrestlers will all be in action at the weekend for the annual Big-5 tournament held at the University of Pretoria.
Among the 500 entrants are the members of the senior Protea team that have been selected to participate at the Commonwealth Games in India.
The 13 team members are: Richard Addinall, Heinrich Barnes, Bella-Lufa Hughes, Marius Loots, Gerald Meyer, Andries Schutte, Etienne van Huyssteen, Carlo van Wyk, Dean van Zyl, Sonja Coetzee, Brumilda Leeuw, Mpho Madi en Zumicke Geringer.
A team from Oregon in the United States, where Barnes is busy studying, will provide stiff competition to local wrestlers in the junior division. The South African championships will be held in September and the Big-5 is the last remaining big tournament on the calendar that the local wrestlers will use to prepare for this and the Commonwealth Games.
Saturday’s action will take place on eight mats at the Tuks Sports Centre and the first matches are expected to start at 9am.