- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
Serbia cruise past South Africa
- Updated: July 15, 2010
World champions and hosts Serbia breezed past South Africa on the opening day of the 2010 FINA men’s water polo World League Super Final in Nis, Serbia on Wednesday.
In Group A, Montenegro (winner of the 2009 edition) defeated China 16-4, while in Group B, Serbia had what amounted to a ÔÇ£trainingÔÇØ game against South Africa, triumphing them 22-0.
The other two games on the first day of the competition that ends on Sunday, included a surprising victory from Australia over Croatia (10-7) and the defeat of Spain (7-3) against USA.
Boris Zlokovic was the best scorer of this round, with his five goals contributing to the successful outcome of Montenegro. The Chinese team only gave some resistance in the first half of the game (4-3 for the Europeans), but then the 2009 winners managed a 6-0 and a 6-1 in the third and fourth periods respectively.
The powerful Serbians won the four quarters convincingly, 6-0 6-0 4-0 and 6-0. Leading scorer was Vanja Udovicic with four goals.