- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
Kalmer fifth in US race
- Updated: June 21, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Rene Kalmer has placed fifth in the 37th running of the Steamboat Classic road race in Peoria, Illinois.
Kalmer, who raced a 10km in New York, the previous weekend, clocked 21min 08sec for the four-mile race which was won by Kenya’s Edna Kiplagat in 19.56.
Kiplagat won $4,000 for her victory while Kalmer will bring home $1,000.
The men’s race went to another Kenyan, Shadrack Kosgei, in 17:36.
Last year Kalmer, 29, had placed fourth, a second slower than this weekend’s performance.
She was the highest placed women’s finisher of last year to return to this year’s race. A field of more than 3,000 athletes lined up for the event.