- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Kalmer fifth in US race
- Updated: June 21, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Rene Kalmer has placed fifth in the 37th running of the Steamboat Classic road race in Peoria, Illinois.
Kalmer, who raced a 10km in New York, the previous weekend, clocked 21min 08sec for the four-mile race which was won by Kenya’s Edna Kiplagat in 19.56.
Kiplagat won $4,000 for her victory while Kalmer will bring home $1,000.
The men’s race went to another Kenyan, Shadrack Kosgei, in 17:36.
Last year Kalmer, 29, had placed fourth, a second slower than this weekend’s performance.
She was the highest placed women’s finisher of last year to return to this year’s race. A field of more than 3,000 athletes lined up for the event.