- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after excited mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
Kalmer fifth in US race
- Updated: June 21, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Rene Kalmer has placed fifth in the 37th running of the Steamboat Classic road race in Peoria, Illinois.
Kalmer, who raced a 10km in New York, the previous weekend, clocked 21min 08sec for the four-mile race which was won by Kenya’s Edna Kiplagat in 19.56.
Kiplagat won $4,000 for her victory while Kalmer will bring home $1,000.
The men’s race went to another Kenyan, Shadrack Kosgei, in 17:36.
Last year Kalmer, 29, had placed fourth, a second slower than this weekend’s performance.
She was the highest placed women’s finisher of last year to return to this year’s race. A field of more than 3,000 athletes lined up for the event.