- Dusi seedings up for grabs at Umpetha Challenge
- Honoured Prinsloo looks to make even bigger strides
- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
Kalmer fifth in US race
- Updated: June 21, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Rene Kalmer has placed fifth in the 37th running of the Steamboat Classic road race in Peoria, Illinois.
Kalmer, who raced a 10km in New York, the previous weekend, clocked 21min 08sec for the four-mile race which was won by Kenya’s Edna Kiplagat in 19.56.
Kiplagat won $4,000 for her victory while Kalmer will bring home $1,000.
The men’s race went to another Kenyan, Shadrack Kosgei, in 17:36.
Last year Kalmer, 29, had placed fourth, a second slower than this weekend’s performance.
She was the highest placed women’s finisher of last year to return to this year’s race. A field of more than 3,000 athletes lined up for the event.