- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
Kalmer fifth in US race
- Updated: June 21, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Rene Kalmer has placed fifth in the 37th running of the Steamboat Classic road race in Peoria, Illinois.
Kalmer, who raced a 10km in New York, the previous weekend, clocked 21min 08sec for the four-mile race which was won by Kenya’s Edna Kiplagat in 19.56.
Kiplagat won $4,000 for her victory while Kalmer will bring home $1,000.
The men’s race went to another Kenyan, Shadrack Kosgei, in 17:36.
Last year Kalmer, 29, had placed fourth, a second slower than this weekend’s performance.
She was the highest placed women’s finisher of last year to return to this year’s race. A field of more than 3,000 athletes lined up for the event.