- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
Two in a row for Chanel
- Updated: May 31, 2010
Chanel Simmonds won her second tennis tournament on the trot at the weekend, when she won the SATA International event in Durban.
A week earlier she had won the ITF Futures event, also in Durban. For her second tournament victory the second seeded South African downed Australian fourth-seed Daniela Scivetti 6-1 6-4. Scivetti battled to find her rhythm in the first set and Simmonds took full advantage of that racing to a 4-0 lead.
Scivetti got things back on track in the second set but one break was all Simmonds needed to make it two tournament victories in a row.
The men’s singles was an exciting tussle and a fitting way to end the tournament.┬á The crowd were treated to a nail biting three-setter with unseeded Nikolaus Moser of Austria beating Switzerland’s Adrien Bossel 6-3 5-7 6-2.
Moser had earlier beaten the top seeded Theodoros Angelenos of Greece in his semi-final. In the final he took the first set 6-3 against third seed Bossel.
Bossel who had beaten South African second seed Raven Klaasen on his way to the final, put up a great fight to recover from 2-5 to and then grab a 6-5 lead in the second set. ┬áMoser then had two game points to get the second set to a tie breaker but Bossel broke him to take the second set 7-5.┬á The third set was then wrapped up 6-2 by the unseeded Moser.
Singles final: Nikolaus Moser AUT bt *3 Adrien Bossel SUI (3) 6-3 5-7 6-2
Doubles final: *1 Raven Klaasen SA & Richard Ruckleshausen AUT bt *2 Nikolaus Moser & Max Raditschnigg AUT 6-4 5-7 10-8
Singles final: *2 Chanel Simmonds SA bt *4 Daniela Scivetti AUS 6-1 6-4
Doubles final: Nicole Rottman AUT & Blanka Szavay HUN┬á bt *1 Sanaa Bhambri & Rushmi Chakravarthi IND 3-6 7-5 11-9