- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
Barnes gets to grips with world champs
- Updated: May 19, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Leading South African wrestler Heinrich Barnes is busy building towards world championships in September.
The Pretoria grappler is currently still in the United States where he is based at the University of Oregon.
“Everything’s going well,” he said this week. “I placed seventh in the Dave Schultz International competition in Colorado in February. Before that I took fourth in the Hargobind International tournament up in Canada late last year and then in September last year I got an eighth spot in the Sunkist International in Arizona.”
A former member of SASCOC’s OPEX squad for potential 2012 medallists in London, Barnes is building up for world championships in September and will be looking to be part of the squad.
The championships will be fought out in Moscow, Russia. Before then Barnes has plenty of other commitments. “We’ll be going to Spain for the Spanish grand prix in July and we’ll have a week-long training camp after that.
“Then, the last week of August we’ll be going for a training camp in Hungary before we head off to world championships.”