- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
- Paralympian Ferreira on the mend and targeting nationals
- Hoffman stars but track champs are marred by tragedy
- Fumic, Avancini on the double at Cape Epic
- Poor health can’t stop Dalle Ave breaking new ground
- Zazini blitzes to 400m hurdles world youth best
Barnes gets to grips with world champs
- Updated: May 19, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Leading South African wrestler Heinrich Barnes is busy building towards world championships in September.
The Pretoria grappler is currently still in the United States where he is based at the University of Oregon.
“Everything’s going well,” he said this week. “I placed seventh in the Dave Schultz International competition in Colorado in February. Before that I took fourth in the Hargobind International tournament up in Canada late last year and then in September last year I got an eighth spot in the Sunkist International in Arizona.”
A former member of SASCOC’s OPEX squad for potential 2012 medallists in London, Barnes is building up for world championships in September and will be looking to be part of the squad.
The championships will be fought out in Moscow, Russia. Before then Barnes has plenty of other commitments. “We’ll be going to Spain for the Spanish grand prix in July and we’ll have a week-long training camp after that.
“Then, the last week of August we’ll be going for a training camp in Hungary before we head off to world championships.”