- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after excited mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
Barnes gets to grips with world champs
- Updated: May 19, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Leading South African wrestler Heinrich Barnes is busy building towards world championships in September.
The Pretoria grappler is currently still in the United States where he is based at the University of Oregon.
“Everything’s going well,” he said this week. “I placed seventh in the Dave Schultz International competition in Colorado in February. Before that I took fourth in the Hargobind International tournament up in Canada late last year and then in September last year I got an eighth spot in the Sunkist International in Arizona.”
A former member of SASCOC’s OPEX squad for potential 2012 medallists in London, Barnes is building up for world championships in September and will be looking to be part of the squad.
The championships will be fought out in Moscow, Russia. Before then Barnes has plenty of other commitments. “We’ll be going to Spain for the Spanish grand prix in July and we’ll have a week-long training camp after that.
“Then, the last week of August we’ll be going for a training camp in Hungary before we head off to world championships.”