- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
Barnes gets to grips with world champs
- Updated: May 19, 2010
By Mark Etheridge
Leading South African wrestler Heinrich Barnes is busy building towards world championships in September.
The Pretoria grappler is currently still in the United States where he is based at the University of Oregon.
“Everything’s going well,” he said this week. “I placed seventh in the Dave Schultz International competition in Colorado in February. Before that I took fourth in the Hargobind International tournament up in Canada late last year and then in September last year I got an eighth spot in the Sunkist International in Arizona.”
A former member of SASCOC’s OPEX squad for potential 2012 medallists in London, Barnes is building up for world championships in September and will be looking to be part of the squad.
The championships will be fought out in Moscow, Russia. Before then Barnes has plenty of other commitments. “We’ll be going to Spain for the Spanish grand prix in July and we’ll have a week-long training camp after that.
“Then, the last week of August we’ll be going for a training camp in Hungary before we head off to world championships.”