- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
Matlou makes it 4-1 to Banyana
- Updated: May 16, 2010
Goals by former ‘African Player of the Year’ Noko Matlou, Sana Mollo, Mamphasha Popela and Leandra Smeda saw the national women’s soccer team Banyana Banyana through to a 4-1 win over Namibia in a friendly international played at the Huntersfield Stadium in Katlehong, near Johannesburg on Saturday.
Lotou’s strike in the 19th minute was the difference between the sides at the interval, with Augustine Makalakalane, coach of the Sasol-sponsored home team, introducing many of the regular Banyana players into the game for the second half. For the visitors, substitute Thomalina Adams scored a consolation goal.
In producing yet another fine display for the hosts on the right side of the park, Sana Mollo was deservedly named the Sasol Diski Queen (Player of the Match award).
ÔÇ£We trained hard during this week’s training camp and came to Huntersfield to hammer Namibia which is what we did although we could well have been 5-0 up by the halftime break if we had taken all of our chances,ÔÇØ said Makalakalane afterwards.
ÔÇ£The match gave me the chance to try out various combinations on the field and I am happy with the result. I am sure many of the fringe squad players will be out to make their presence felt when they represent their provincial title-winning clubs at the Sasol League National Championships which start in Polokwane on Monday.ÔÇØ
Speaking after the game, Namibian coach Klaus Staerk said: ÔÇ£We travelled to SA without three of our regular defenders, but on the day we lacked the discipline required ÔÇô something the Banyana Banyana showed that they have.ÔÇØ