- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
Matlou makes it 4-1 to Banyana
- Updated: May 16, 2010
Goals by former ‘African Player of the Year’ Noko Matlou, Sana Mollo, Mamphasha Popela and Leandra Smeda saw the national women’s soccer team Banyana Banyana through to a 4-1 win over Namibia in a friendly international played at the Huntersfield Stadium in Katlehong, near Johannesburg on Saturday.
Lotou’s strike in the 19th minute was the difference between the sides at the interval, with Augustine Makalakalane, coach of the Sasol-sponsored home team, introducing many of the regular Banyana players into the game for the second half. For the visitors, substitute Thomalina Adams scored a consolation goal.
In producing yet another fine display for the hosts on the right side of the park, Sana Mollo was deservedly named the Sasol Diski Queen (Player of the Match award).
ÔÇ£We trained hard during this week’s training camp and came to Huntersfield to hammer Namibia which is what we did although we could well have been 5-0 up by the halftime break if we had taken all of our chances,ÔÇØ said Makalakalane afterwards.
ÔÇ£The match gave me the chance to try out various combinations on the field and I am happy with the result. I am sure many of the fringe squad players will be out to make their presence felt when they represent their provincial title-winning clubs at the Sasol League National Championships which start in Polokwane on Monday.ÔÇØ
Speaking after the game, Namibian coach Klaus Staerk said: ÔÇ£We travelled to SA without three of our regular defenders, but on the day we lacked the discipline required ÔÇô something the Banyana Banyana showed that they have.ÔÇØ