- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
Caster closer to closure?
- Updated: May 14, 2010
The Caster Semenya saga may finally be closer to reaching a conclusion after nine long months.
On Thursday IAAF president Lamine Diack said a “solution” will be reached by June in the case of the 19-year-old South African athlete who won gold in the 800-metre event at last year’s World Track and Field Championships in Berlin, Germany.
Semenya’s triumph was immediately shrouded in controversy after questions over her gender and the IAAF have yet to make a decision as to results of gender tests conducted.
Semenya has not run competitively since her Berlin victory although she has continued to train and study in Pretoria. She has also launched the Caster Semenya Academy and attended the Stellenbosch leg of the local Yellow Pages Series earlier this year, as a spectator. This after been told by Athletics South Africa’s Richard Stander at the Coetzenburg meeting that it was not advisable to compete until the the global governing body gave the go-ahead.
Reuters says that Diack would not elaborate on what he meant by a solution for the Limpopo athlete.
Diack says he sympathises with Semenya, who he says is in a difficult situation because of the controversy.
The IAAF has repeatedly said it will not make any public comment on Semenya until her medical process is complete.
Semenya earlier said in a statement that she would return to competition on June 24 at a meeting in Zaragoza, Spain, though that remains unlikely unless her medical tests are finished.
By Mark Etheridge