- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Stylish victory for SA men
- Updated: May 8, 2010
The doubles team of Rik De Voest and Wesley Moodie┬áput on a strong show┬áto beat Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen and Harri Heliovaara and in so doing sealed success for South Africa in their Davis Cup Euro/Africa Group 1 tie in Pretoria on Saturday.
On Friday Izak van der Merwe had beaten Heliovaara 6-3 6-4 3-6 6-3 and De Voest rallied from a set down to get past the experienced Nieminen 5-7 6-3 6-2 5-7 6-3 to put the hosts 2-0 up in the best of five encounter.
On Saturday De Voest and Moodie combined for a 6-2 6-3 6-4 shutout leaving Sunday’s reverse singles irrelevant. South Africa enjoy an unassailable 3-0 lead and they have qualified for the play-off for the World Group.