- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
Stylish victory for SA men
- Updated: May 8, 2010
The doubles team of Rik De Voest and Wesley Moodie┬áput on a strong show┬áto beat Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen and Harri Heliovaara and in so doing sealed success for South Africa in their Davis Cup Euro/Africa Group 1 tie in Pretoria on Saturday.
On Friday Izak van der Merwe had beaten Heliovaara 6-3 6-4 3-6 6-3 and De Voest rallied from a set down to get past the experienced Nieminen 5-7 6-3 6-2 5-7 6-3 to put the hosts 2-0 up in the best of five encounter.
On Saturday De Voest and Moodie combined for a 6-2 6-3 6-4 shutout leaving Sunday’s reverse singles irrelevant. South Africa enjoy an unassailable 3-0 lead and they have qualified for the play-off for the World Group.