- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
Stylish victory for SA men
- Updated: May 8, 2010
The doubles team of Rik De Voest and Wesley Moodie┬áput on a strong show┬áto beat Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen and Harri Heliovaara and in so doing sealed success for South Africa in their Davis Cup Euro/Africa Group 1 tie in Pretoria on Saturday.
On Friday Izak van der Merwe had beaten Heliovaara 6-3 6-4 3-6 6-3 and De Voest rallied from a set down to get past the experienced Nieminen 5-7 6-3 6-2 5-7 6-3 to put the hosts 2-0 up in the best of five encounter.
On Saturday De Voest and Moodie combined for a 6-2 6-3 6-4 shutout leaving Sunday’s reverse singles irrelevant. South Africa enjoy an unassailable 3-0 lead and they have qualified for the play-off for the World Group.