- Honoured Prinsloo looks to make even bigger strides
- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
SA take control of tie
- Updated: May 8, 2010
Izak van der Merwe and Rik De Voest gave South Africa a dream start in their Euro/Africa Group 1 Davis Cup tie in Pretoria on Friday.
Van der Merwe beat the Finnish No2 Harri Heliovaara 6-3 6-4 3-6 6-3 to put South Africa up 1-0, and De Voest then saw off the challenge of the Finnish No1, Jarkko Nieminen to give the hosts a commanding 2-0 lead in the best-of-five tie. South Africa has won both previous meetings between the two nations. The winner of this tie progresses to the World Group Play-offs.
The rest of the draw is:
Saturday (12 noon): Rik De Voest and Wesley Moodie (RSA) v Harri Heliovaara and Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Sunday (10am): 1 Izak van der Merwe (RSA) v 1 Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Followed by: 2 Rik De Voest (RSA) v 2 Harri Heliovaara (FIN)
Both teams may change the players of the nominated team until one hour before the scheduled start of the doubles, until one hour before the scheduled start of the third singles match (not previously having played singles) and until 10 minutes after the completion of the third singles match for the fourth singles match (not previously having played singles).
Tickets for the tie are available at Groenkloof stadium. Saturday ÔÇô R40 and Sunday ÔÇô R50