- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
Izak opens SA’s account
- Updated: May 7, 2010
South Africa’s men’s singles No 1 Izak van der Merwe gave the hosts a dream start in their Davis Cup Euro/Africa Group 1 tie at Groenkloof Stadium in Pretoria on Friday.
Van der Merwe beat the Finnish No2 Harri Heliovaara 6-3 6-4 3-6 6-3 to put South Africa 1-0 up in the best-of-five rubber. Rik De Voest is next up, tackling the Finnish No1 Jarkko Nieminen.
The rest of the draw is:
Saturday (12 noon): Rik De Voest and Wesley Moodie (RSA) v Harri Heliovaara and Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Sunday (10am): 1 Izak van der Merwe (RSA) v 1 Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Followed by: 2 Rik De Voest (RSA) v 2 Harri Heliovaara (FIN)
Both teams may change the players of the nominated team until one hour before the scheduled start of the doubles, until one hour before the scheduled start of the third singles match (not previously having played singles) and until 10 minutes after the completion of the third singles match for the fourth singles match (not previously having played singles).
Tickets for the tie are available at Groenkloof stadium. Saturday ÔÇô R40 and Sunday ÔÇô R50.
Information courtesy BLD Communications