- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
Izak opens SA’s account
- Updated: May 7, 2010
South Africa’s men’s singles No 1 Izak van der Merwe gave the hosts a dream start in their Davis Cup Euro/Africa Group 1 tie at Groenkloof Stadium in Pretoria on Friday.
Van der Merwe beat the Finnish No2 Harri Heliovaara 6-3 6-4 3-6 6-3 to put South Africa 1-0 up in the best-of-five rubber. Rik De Voest is next up, tackling the Finnish No1 Jarkko Nieminen.
The rest of the draw is:
Saturday (12 noon): Rik De Voest and Wesley Moodie (RSA) v Harri Heliovaara and Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Sunday (10am): 1 Izak van der Merwe (RSA) v 1 Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Followed by: 2 Rik De Voest (RSA) v 2 Harri Heliovaara (FIN)
Both teams may change the players of the nominated team until one hour before the scheduled start of the doubles, until one hour before the scheduled start of the third singles match (not previously having played singles) and until 10 minutes after the completion of the third singles match for the fourth singles match (not previously having played singles).
Tickets for the tie are available at Groenkloof stadium. Saturday ÔÇô R40 and Sunday ÔÇô R50.
Information courtesy BLD Communications