- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
Izak opens SA’s account
- Updated: May 7, 2010
South Africa’s men’s singles No 1 Izak van der Merwe gave the hosts a dream start in their Davis Cup Euro/Africa Group 1 tie at Groenkloof Stadium in Pretoria on Friday.
Van der Merwe beat the Finnish No2 Harri Heliovaara 6-3 6-4 3-6 6-3 to put South Africa 1-0 up in the best-of-five rubber. Rik De Voest is next up, tackling the Finnish No1 Jarkko Nieminen.
The rest of the draw is:
Saturday (12 noon): Rik De Voest and Wesley Moodie (RSA) v Harri Heliovaara and Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Sunday (10am): 1 Izak van der Merwe (RSA) v 1 Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Followed by: 2 Rik De Voest (RSA) v 2 Harri Heliovaara (FIN)
Both teams may change the players of the nominated team until one hour before the scheduled start of the doubles, until one hour before the scheduled start of the third singles match (not previously having played singles) and until 10 minutes after the completion of the third singles match for the fourth singles match (not previously having played singles).
Tickets for the tie are available at Groenkloof stadium. Saturday ÔÇô R40 and Sunday ÔÇô R50.
Information courtesy BLD Communications