- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
Vd Merwe on a new high
- Updated: April 23, 2010
Following Izak van der Merwe’s success at the Soweto Tennis Open last week, he has jumped 79 positions to a career high of 222.
This, combined with a drop of 78 positions by Pretoria local Rik de Voest, has pushed Van der Merwe into the top position for the upcoming Euro/Africa Zone Group 1 Davis Cup tie against Finland to be played at the Groenkloof Tennis Stadium in Pretoria from May 7-9.
Should the positions remain the way they are, it will mean that De Voest, the more experienced Davis Cup player, could find himself in the position of deciding the tie when he plays the final rubber on Sunday, should the best-of-five-match series be locked at 2-2.
The South African team who spent time at altitude during last week’s Soweto Open, are confident for the tie and are all coming off good form.
The Finnish team are having problems of their own, with number two player Henri Kontinen still trying to recover from an abdominal tear he sustained in Finland’s previous tie against Poland, where he won the deciding match to put Finland through to this round.
As a result of this injury, Finland have held back on their team announcement, to ensure Kontinen’s fitness for the tie.
The Finnish team is scheduled to be announced on April 27.
Tickets for the Groenkloof showdown are available at Computicket and prices are R50 for Friday May 7, R40 for Saturday May 8 and R50 for the final match day, Sunday May 9.