- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
- Local caddie bags big bonus after Storm’s win
- Storm stays calm as he holds off McIlroy to win SA Open
- Productive camp for Banyana ahead of French clash
- Storm hits last round of SA Open with three-stroke lead
- SA athletics already have Tokyo 2020 on their mind
- Storm leads suspended Open as McIlroy suffers setback
- Western Cape gears up for national championships
- Horne and Fisher upstage world No2 at SA Open
- Selepe set to make history at Davis Cup tie
Kalmer belts it out in Bellville
- Updated: April 16, 2010
In-form Rene Kalmer, recent winner and record breaker in the Two Oceans half-marathon will be defending her title at the Cape Town leg of the SPAR Women’s Challenge Grand Prix series, which takes place at the Bellville Stadium on Sunday 18 April.
Kalmer, winner of the Grand Prix series in 2007 and 2009, has won the Cape Town race six times. She will spearhead the 10km challenge, having won the race for three consecutive years, last year in a time of 35:22. Earlier this month she blitzed to a super 72min 39sec win at the Two Oceans.
More than 14 000 women are expected to line up for the start and once again take on the challenge of what has become known as ÔÇ£South Africa’s most beautiful raceÔÇØ, this being an event aimed at women.
Other top runners expecting to fight it out for top 10 places are Poppy Mlambo, Irvette van Blerk, Marilize Retief, Thozama April, Zintle Xiniwe, Maxine Heine Wacker, Danielle Adlam, Ronel Thomas, Nomvuyisi Seti, Jenna Challenor and Tanith Maxwell, as well as juniors, Bianca van Niekerk and Asiphe Sikabalanjana.
Registration takes place at the Bellville stadium on Friday, 16 April (8am-7pm) and Saturday, 17 April from (8am to 5pm). Late entries will only be taken on the Friday.
The 10km race starts outside the athletics stadium at 7.30am, and the 5km at 7.55am. Entry for the 5 km and 10km costs R5.