- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Caster’s wait continues
- Updated: April 1, 2010
Reigning world 800-metre champion Caster Semenya will not receive the results of her gender verification tests until June, Athletics South Africa (ASA) have said.
Semenya underwent the tests after winning gold at last August’s world championships and has not run competitively since but announced on Tuesday she planned to race this season even though her case has yet to be resolved.
“Caster is a disciplined athlete who is happy to abide by the rules. She is frustrated that she can’t compete and that is only natural,” ASA spokesperson Richard Stander told Reuters.
“But the results of her gender test were only ever going to become available in June,” he added.
Previously it was stated that the tests would be known late last year and then early this year. It has now been eight months since the world championships in Berlin.
Semenya was at Tuesday evening’s penultimate Yellow Pages Series track and field meeting at Coetzenburg, Stellenbosch where she hoped to compete.
But Stander, Boland Athletics CEO and co-opted onto the Athletics SA interim governing body, met with her and her legal representative and persuaded her not to rock the boat.