- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
Hammer medallist dies
- Updated: March 28, 2010
South African track and field athletics is mourning the death of hammer throw athlete Douw Steenkamp.
Steenkamp died in┬á a car accident in Mpumalanga late last week.
Steenkamp, won the bronze medal in the hammer throw competition at the Yellow Pages SA Senior Track and Field Championships in Durban last weekend, and also threw a career best distance of 62.62 metres at the Yellow Pages Series meeting held at the University of Johannesburg last Wednesday.
Athletics South Africa extended their sincere condolences to family members and friends of Steenkamp, with ASA administrator Ray Mali describing the passing away of Steenkamp as a ‘sad loss to the athletics family in SA.ÔÇØ