- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Hammer medallist dies
- Updated: March 28, 2010
South African track and field athletics is mourning the death of hammer throw athlete Douw Steenkamp.
Steenkamp died in┬á a car accident in Mpumalanga late last week.
Steenkamp, won the bronze medal in the hammer throw competition at the Yellow Pages SA Senior Track and Field Championships in Durban last weekend, and also threw a career best distance of 62.62 metres at the Yellow Pages Series meeting held at the University of Johannesburg last Wednesday.
Athletics South Africa extended their sincere condolences to family members and friends of Steenkamp, with ASA administrator Ray Mali describing the passing away of Steenkamp as a ‘sad loss to the athletics family in SA.ÔÇØ