- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Hammer medallist dies
- Updated: March 28, 2010
South African track and field athletics is mourning the death of hammer throw athlete Douw Steenkamp.
Steenkamp died in┬á a car accident in Mpumalanga late last week.
Steenkamp, won the bronze medal in the hammer throw competition at the Yellow Pages SA Senior Track and Field Championships in Durban last weekend, and also threw a career best distance of 62.62 metres at the Yellow Pages Series meeting held at the University of Johannesburg last Wednesday.
Athletics South Africa extended their sincere condolences to family members and friends of Steenkamp, with ASA administrator Ray Mali describing the passing away of Steenkamp as a ‘sad loss to the athletics family in SA.ÔÇØ