- SA’s developing sailors to battle it out in historic regatta
- Triple boost for Dazel’s women’s sevens side
- SA stars on track for national championships
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
Venter takes on world champion
- Updated: March 19, 2010
South African 25km open water swimming champion Tyron Venter will go head-to-head with world champion Petar Stoychev in the inaugural Bell Buoy Challenge at the MTN Nelson Mandela Bay Splash Festival in Port Elizabeth on Sunday, April 4.
The organisers were keen to get Venter on board for the seven-kilometre ocean swim and the latter, who described it as ÔÇ£the opportunity of a lifetimeÔÇØ, was quick to accept the invitation.
ÔÇ£Petar is a great champion and when the opportunity arose right here in this country, I could not refuse it.ÔÇØ
Venter claimed his title with a world-class performance during the recent Midmar Mile Festival and will be confident of running the Bulgarian nine-time world champion close.
He recently won the Telkom Roode 1000 for the fourth time, a feat only emulated by Olympic bronze medallist Chad Ho.
Venter, who first represented South Africa as a teenager at the Fina World Championships in Montreal in 2005, said he was looking forward to a weekend of intense racing at the festival.
He is also entered for the swimming event that forms part of the first Ocean Racing Series World Championships (April 3) and the King of Nelson Mandela Bay (April 5) elimination race.
In the recent past, Venter has represented SA in France, Spain and Britain and he now has his sights set on the 25km title at the Fina Open Water Championships in Canada later this year.
For more information, contact the festival office on 041 393 4844 or visit www.splashfestival.com.