- Swiss experience helps Beyers take two track titles
- SA’s developing sailors to battle it out in historic regatta
- Triple boost for Dazel’s women’s sevens side
- SA stars on track for national championships
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
Second place for Schabort
- Updated: March 5, 2010
Paralympian Krige Schabort has placed second in a 15-kilometre wheelchair event in the United States.
Formerly from Somerset West, and now based in Georgia, Shabort took part in the Gasparilla Distance Classic.
“I finished┬áa close┬ásecond,” said Schabort. “Jordan Bird, the young 20-year-old┬á┬áfrom University of Arizona won the race.
“It was a flat course and turned out to be tactical. In the middle section the course had five turns┬áwith some┬ácobble stones, so┬áI attacked┬áhere and broke the pack of about 10 guys.
“From there it was three of us leading to the finishing sprint.”
Bird clocked exactly 33 minutes for the race, with Schabort finishing one second adrift and a second ahead of third-placed Richard Parson.
“In two weeks I’ll do the Los Angeles Marathon,” said Schabort.