- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
Second place for Schabort
- Updated: March 5, 2010
Paralympian Krige Schabort has placed second in a 15-kilometre wheelchair event in the United States.
Formerly from Somerset West, and now based in Georgia, Shabort took part in the Gasparilla Distance Classic.
“I finished┬áa close┬ásecond,” said Schabort. “Jordan Bird, the young 20-year-old┬á┬áfrom University of Arizona won the race.
“It was a flat course and turned out to be tactical. In the middle section the course had five turns┬áwith some┬ácobble stones, so┬áI attacked┬áhere and broke the pack of about 10 guys.
“From there it was three of us leading to the finishing sprint.”
Bird clocked exactly 33 minutes for the race, with Schabort finishing one second adrift and a second ahead of third-placed Richard Parson.
“In two weeks I’ll do the Los Angeles Marathon,” said Schabort.