- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
Second place for Schabort
- Updated: March 5, 2010
Paralympian Krige Schabort has placed second in a 15-kilometre wheelchair event in the United States.
Formerly from Somerset West, and now based in Georgia, Shabort took part in the Gasparilla Distance Classic.
“I finished┬áa close┬ásecond,” said Schabort. “Jordan Bird, the young 20-year-old┬á┬áfrom University of Arizona won the race.
“It was a flat course and turned out to be tactical. In the middle section the course had five turns┬áwith some┬ácobble stones, so┬áI attacked┬áhere and broke the pack of about 10 guys.
“From there it was three of us leading to the finishing sprint.”
Bird clocked exactly 33 minutes for the race, with Schabort finishing one second adrift and a second ahead of third-placed Richard Parson.
“In two weeks I’ll do the Los Angeles Marathon,” said Schabort.