- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
Second place for Schabort
- Updated: March 5, 2010
Paralympian Krige Schabort has placed second in a 15-kilometre wheelchair event in the United States.
Formerly from Somerset West, and now based in Georgia, Shabort took part in the Gasparilla Distance Classic.
“I finished┬áa close┬ásecond,” said Schabort. “Jordan Bird, the young 20-year-old┬á┬áfrom University of Arizona won the race.
“It was a flat course and turned out to be tactical. In the middle section the course had five turns┬áwith some┬ácobble stones, so┬áI attacked┬áhere and broke the pack of about 10 guys.
“From there it was three of us leading to the finishing sprint.”
Bird clocked exactly 33 minutes for the race, with Schabort finishing one second adrift and a second ahead of third-placed Richard Parson.
“In two weeks I’ll do the Los Angeles Marathon,” said Schabort.