- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
Second place for Schabort
- Updated: March 5, 2010
Paralympian Krige Schabort has placed second in a 15-kilometre wheelchair event in the United States.
Formerly from Somerset West, and now based in Georgia, Shabort took part in the Gasparilla Distance Classic.
“I finished┬áa close┬ásecond,” said Schabort. “Jordan Bird, the young 20-year-old┬á┬áfrom University of Arizona won the race.
“It was a flat course and turned out to be tactical. In the middle section the course had five turns┬áwith some┬ácobble stones, so┬áI attacked┬áhere and broke the pack of about 10 guys.
“From there it was three of us leading to the finishing sprint.”
Bird clocked exactly 33 minutes for the race, with Schabort finishing one second adrift and a second ahead of third-placed Richard Parson.
“In two weeks I’ll do the Los Angeles Marathon,” said Schabort.