- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
Russian impresses President Sam
- Updated: March 4, 2010
Gideon Sam, president of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC), has made a surprise visit to Golden Lions Gymnastics to witness visiting Russian choreographer Ekaterina Kalinina at work.
He was so impressed by the Russian that he called her to aside and had a long discussion with her.
ÔÇ£I asked her to supply me with a programme in order to assist our women gymnasts and also to return in the second half of this year,ÔÇØ he said.
Sam says that he believes this is the way forward for South African gymnastics.
ÔÇ£We need experts here to help with development and Ekaterina is young and enthusiastic and I believe that she should come back on a fulltime basis in the middle of 2011 in order for us to prepare for the Commonwealth Games in Scotland in 2014.
He was recently quoted as saying: ÔÇ£I can’t find a gymnast and weightlifter for 2010 Commonwealth Games.
ÔÇ£Choreography plays a major role in various aspects of gymnastics,ÔÇØ Kalinina told Sam.