- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Another record for Juan
- Updated: February 15, 2010
There’s no stopping Juan van Deventer on the indoor track circuit.
Hard on the heels of South African records in the 1,500 and 3,000m, Van Deventer went even quicker in the metric mile in Ghent, Belgium on Sunday.
Earlier this month Van Deventer set a national indoor best of 3min 37.25sec for the 1,500m in Dusseldorf, Germany.
On Sunday he placed second behind Kenyan Haron Keitany, clipping another 0.29sec off his mark as he clocked 3:36.96. Keitany won in 3:35.69 with another Kenyan, Daniel Komen third in 3:37.19.
Also in action at the same meeting was former world champion Jacques Freitag. Making a comeback after a two-year hiatus from competition, Freitag equalled his season-best efforts of 2.20 metres.
That gave him fifth position behind Russia’s Aleksey Dmitrik who cleared 2.26m. Freitag later failed with two attempts at the 2.23m mark.
Van Deventer now returns to South Africa to continue his training ahead of next month’s World Indoor Championships in Qatar.