- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Mdedelwa wins in Potch
- Updated: February 3, 2010
Lungisa Mdedelwa won a hard-fought senior men’s race at the national cross-country trials in Potchefstroom.
Mdedelwa clocked 33min 22sec for the 12-kilometre course, just holding off runner-up Stephen Mokoka by one second. Third was Xolisa Tyali a further three seconds adrift.
Former national champion Boy Soke could only manage seventh spot.
And defending champion Sibusiso Nzima had a day to forget and he ended in the also-rans — 31st in 35:49.
In the senior women’s 8km, visiting Scottish athlete Freya Murray ran away with the victory spoils, covering the course in 25:30.
The talented Phalula twins, Lebo and Lebogang placed second and third respectively with times of 26:25 and 26:44.
As in the men’s race the defending champion made no impact at the top-end of the field. Tebogo Masehla placed seventh in 27:42.