- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Mdedelwa wins in Potch
- Updated: February 3, 2010
Lungisa Mdedelwa won a hard-fought senior men’s race at the national cross-country trials in Potchefstroom.
Mdedelwa clocked 33min 22sec for the 12-kilometre course, just holding off runner-up Stephen Mokoka by one second. Third was Xolisa Tyali a further three seconds adrift.
Former national champion Boy Soke could only manage seventh spot.
And defending champion Sibusiso Nzima had a day to forget and he ended in the also-rans — 31st in 35:49.
In the senior women’s 8km, visiting Scottish athlete Freya Murray ran away with the victory spoils, covering the course in 25:30.
The talented Phalula twins, Lebo and Lebogang placed second and third respectively with times of 26:25 and 26:44.
As in the men’s race the defending champion made no impact at the top-end of the field. Tebogo Masehla placed seventh in 27:42.